The following are some basic interviewing tips and ideas to remember and prepare you for interviews.
- Bring 2-3 copies of resume to the interview.
- Greet employer with a firm handshake, good eye contact and smile.
- The first 10-15 seconds of the interview are the most crucial. First impression is crucial.
- You may meet with more than one person in the process.
- Stay positive. Attitude is everything.
- Answer questions in terms of the open position.
- You want to show yourself as skilled and at the same time convey your humanity. Someone with positive energy, ambition and a team player.
Arrive 10-15 minutes early for the interview.
- Gives you time to compose yourself.
- You may fill out an application.
- You are showing courtesy to the employer.
Fill out the application neatly and completely.
- A neat copy of references supplying names and numbers is a nice touch.
- Never put "see resume" on the application.
- Put "open" in the space for salary desired.
In The Interview:
- Ask the employer to describe the job.
- Any negative comments about past or present employers will rule you out. Total taboo!
- Keep answers complete and to the point. Do not give yes/no answers, but do not ramble.
- This is where you sell yourself, tell employer what you can do for them.
- Know your background - do not be robotic.
- Have 6-10 written questions ready to ask the employer.
- Know what your strengths are and how to support them.
Questions should pertain to:
- Note: Listening is very important, let the employer talk and sell you on them.
Interviewing Questions should not pertain to:
- Lunch hour.
- Unless the interviewer brings it up.